Butler Memorial Presbyterian had its humble beginnings as Ezra Presbyterian Church, in 1871, by the Caucasian Savannah Presbytery. Through the efforts of First Presbyterian Church, its first location was in a grist mill.The first two ministers, Rev. Clayburn and Rev. White, were both Caucasian. The first black minister, Rev. Prince Maxwell, was appointed in the late 1880’s. Since 1871, there have been twenty ministers to proclaim the word for this congregation and church members have worshipped in four different locations before reaching the Victory Drive site in 1954.
Reverend Samuel Redd, the twelfth pastor of Ezra, enlisted the assistance of Robert Miller Butler, wealthy cotton merchant, and Independent Presbyterian Church. Through their efforts, the church was able to move to an edifice on McDonough and East Broad Streets, the third location. In 1910, the name of the church was changed to Butler Memorial in recognition of the counsel and assistance given by Robert Miller Butler. During Redd’s tenure, a parochial school was developed and the Bethany Presbyterian Church, the second black Presbyterian Church in Savannah was established. In 1933, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 151 was organized at Butler.
Reverend Clarence Richmond took over the leadership of the church in 1935 and continued the work of Rev. Redd, followed by many distinguished pastors. One of the most notable pastors was Rev. Pickens Patterson, who made tremendous strides during the Civil Rights Movement. He worked closely with Hosea Williams, a Butler church member, and the legendary Wesley. W. Law. Rev. Patterson was the pastor of Butler for thirty years and was followed by Reverend(s) Henry Pinckney, Donnie Woods, Jr., Desmond Walker, Don Dilley (interim minister), Reverend Don Johnson and Reverend Stephen Robertson.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.
Everyone is welcome! Stop by during normal business hours or come worship with us on Sunday mornings!
603 West Victory Drive, Savannah, Georgia 31405, United States
Pastor's Office Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 10 a.m- 5 p.m.
Secretary's Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Wednesday Night Bible Study: 6-7 p.m.
Sunday School: 9:30 a.m.
Church Service: 11 a.m. ( Sunday)
Fax # (912) 233-2048
Reverend Stephen Robertson, Pastor